Gramp's Favorite Color - The Wabi-Sabi Writer

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Gramp's Favorite Color




As children
we ask
the most important
of
questions

why this
why that
and 
why not

echo through 
the hallways
lined
with framed photos
and
crackling
sun

But the most
pertinent
powerful
and
profound

What is your favorite color?

is THE one to be answered.


I asked this
every other weekend or so
on our visits

Gram would proudly say

the color of my magnolia tree

the backdrop for all the summer photos

oh not at all bubblegum or pepto

 but the palest of precious pink


Mine has always been

the juicy color of happiness

and vibrant sun

the very best flavor

(of jelly bean, gummy, soda or sherbet)

But Gramps

He was the one who would say

with a glint in his eye

a riddle
and
the 
answer
all in one

the color of the sky
the moment
the sun shuts
her eyes
and nestles in 
an early autumn 
blanket of clouds

my gramp's favorite color


I think of him
every time I see the sky streaked
in salmon swirled cerulean

and I hear his answer

sky blue pink 







Inspired by the prompt "what color is it?"

2 comments: