My Pajamas - The Wabi-Sabi Writer

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

My Pajamas




You know  
The question all adults
want to know
but never do

They stare at my gangly limbs
restless twitching
as I curl up
wherever
the sun
shines

I answer  - a ballerina
as I touch my head
with my toes

I answer -  a doctor
as my curious notions
roll on the floor
like spilled sugar pills

then I answer a nun
oh the look 
on my 
crewcut
cussing
mother

she lit another
cigarette
took a deep drag
her mind flaming
 to the drunken
catholic priest
and
the curse he proclaimed

Silenced
She exhaled
smoke and apprehension
swirling around 
my narrow
face

But my most honest
answer
one I give to this day
is my very first

My father perched 
on the wooden front porch
drinking a schlitz
and watching me

watching me 
swirl bright colored soaps
in the blue plastic pool
one late summer afternoon
on Bridge Street

My mother
watching us
from behind the screen door

So what do you want to be when you grow up?

This was as clear as the blue sky
as easy as the lilac-scented breeze

with all my four-year-old resolve 
I proclaim

"A Cat"

It has been decades and I have yet to change
my answer




NaPoWriMo 2019 Day 23
Based on the prompt to write a poem about an animal

2 comments: