Afterglow - The Wabi-Sabi Writer

Thursday, July 4, 2024

Afterglow


I remember the day

 when you arrived

fresh and flush

from taking a spin

the 98th

to be exact

around the sun

to the place

at Piners

besides my mother

'she reminds me of little gram' - my mother's mother

who welcomed you

with arms wide

into this new world


The two old ladies

'two peas in a pod'

 you two shared

stories

struggles

but mostly

laughter


the two snarky sage crones 

with all the nursing know how

how to do the damned job right

like back in the day

'our day' - you would

whisper across the rail

my mother echoing

loudly in assent 

as the aides 

once again ignored

the call light

for their cell screens

muttering mexican vulgarities

as they passed by


When the crowned beast

clawed you two apart

you found your way back to each other

whispering secrets and hot goss

through the bathroom door

lazily left ajar


Nothing could keep you two apart

the soul sisters

with matching floral brocade

walkers

walking together 

down the dank halls

out to the garden courtyard

"We are giving a fashion show"


Every visit

even the one's at the sliding door

during the month long lockdown

I relished your company

your bright gleaming smile

and all that sass


I relished

decorating the bleak windows and walls

with the changing seasons 

floral, foliage, faux flickering candles

festive tinsel and twinkling Christmas lights

savoring your guidance, however impatient 

like a freshly baked plate of cookies


Even with all the pain

of a broken body 

You never sat still, always go go go

'she is out running death' - my mother would say

when I asked where you were

but when you were siting still

you were devouring a mystery novel

or painting a vibrant window cling

My birthday gift -

a colorful mandala

still casting rainbows in my kitchen

in the late afternoon sun


We toasted

Your  99th

twirl

around the incurious sun

on the day

the actual day 

for the first and only time you could remember

(and you remembered everything)

for it had been always postponed

for

picnics and parades

pyrotechtic pomp and circumstance


"You definitely came into the world with a bang!" - my mother teased


The sun rose and set

but once

and my mother watched you

wheel

out

of Piners

to the Queen of the Valley

one 

last time


where surrounded by family

the flowers from my mother 

and dixie land jazz filling the air

you let go

no more pain

and left this world


your light

still illuminating the sky 



Every time I see fireworks, but most of all on July 4th - your birthday, I think of you, hear your wicked humor and laughter like firecrackers.  I am ever grateful for the brilliance and sparkle and the love you brought into our lives.




Dorothy Hoffman

July 4 1923 - July 9 2022


" I'd like the memory of me to be a happy one.

I'd like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done"


Camp NaNoWriMo  Day 4




#campNaNoWriMo2024 #wabisabipoetry

#100daysforLionel      

1 comment: