Sunday Rain - The Wabi-Sabi Writer

Monday, April 6, 2020

Sunday Rain




I spend my Sunday
enclaved in the bay window
staring out at the empty city streets
the mountain across the bay
from a sea of pillows
stacks of yellowing magazines
float nearby
I rest my tea
on the image of Esalen
one nestled deep
in my heart

The drops start slow
misting the sidewalks
trees glisten
and sway

I startle
sitting upright
to see
the rain
pelting the pain
abrupt
insistent
like the withered man
spitting on the sidewalk
then stiff limbed
stepping
 off the jampacked bus
hobbling
down
a crowded 
Stockton Street

The storm flashed
rain whipping
sideways
slapping the glass
like the weathered
woman's
fish
flip-flopping
in the pink plastic bag
"fresh!"
she exclaimed
with a grey toothed grin

It has been many moons
since I wandered 
Stockton street

Before the white rat
ran in
under our dancing feet
making its nest
beneath wet cardboard boxes
and disregarded red paper

Before the redolence
rose from the street
sweet
dank
familiar

soup
sulfur
and
sewer

I watch
from my window
the vacant 45 bus
carrying on
down the empty street



NaPoWriMo  Day 6
Based on the prompt from April Edition Poets & Writers - to capture a moment in the rain

Photo by Anant Jain on Unsplash

1 comment:

  1. An extremely visual, and sensual, poem, even with it’s darker undercurrent. “pelting the pain”

    ReplyDelete