Righting Reflex - The Wabi-Sabi Writer

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Righting Reflex


Everything has its beginning. 
  It is not always what you would expect.

  Sometimes
 it ends up
 making pitch-perfect sense
  as if
written in the stars,
 in stone
 or on notarized natal paper.

Othertimes 
it catches you 
completely exposed and unaware. 

Like that dream
 bottomless in a crowd 
surrounded
 by unsavory sorts 
no escape from
the ones who crave other’s shame.  
Nothing but tiny grey field mouse
scurrying about in the shrubs. 

 My beginning 
stares at me 
 huge open black circles 
 hind legs quivering
marching in place
 readying to launch
 on to my small unsuspecting existence. 

 Like the mouse, I did not see it coming.
  
The only clue was a flash, 
a shock of movement
 blurring into a broad shadow 
looming over me, 
darkening my world, 
unweighting me
 from my comfortable ways.    

Twisting and turning tales
 my righting reflex 
lands me

splash
down
solid

I shake it off 
with a sideways smirk

“I meant to do that” 
as I walk away.



NaPoWriMo  Day 11

Photo by Lucas Lenzi on Unsplash

2 comments:

  1. “the ones who crave other’s shame” ....sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piece which created vivid image..

    https://serendipityofdreams.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete