Rewrite - The Wabi-Sabi Writer

Monday, May 11, 2020

Rewrite




If I could
rewrite
the words

 the years

left 
behind

a little girl lost

her diary
her dreams
her safety
her sunshine

how
would
I
begin
or
end

My form falters
 against concrete notions

 memories
lurk
in the back alleys
just laying in wait
like
stacked
cinderblocks
stained
with
blood

I have not forgotten
the darkness
the dank odor
of sweat and piss
the damp rot
of days
on 
off
lord

I can still taste
wild teaberry
clove candy
and
royal blue
otter pops

my father's 
pale green eyes
looking deep
into mine
rolling back
in his head
my grandmother pleading
my stepmother swerving
my mother
crying

these are things

a little girl lost
cannot
unsee

please don't take my sunshine away

this little girl found
her words
her voice
her strength
her choice

Every 
breath
She rewrites
this life 


#hopewriterlife #rewrite

Photo by By Jozef Klopacka


3 comments:

  1. You dug deep for that one. Found a diamond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is sometimes amazing what we can uncover with our poetry

      Delete
  2. I love the stacked cinderblocks stained with blood

    ReplyDelete