Hemorrhaging - The Wabi-Sabi Writer

Monday, January 14, 2019

Hemorrhaging




For five days
I did not look

Could not look

where my wounds
bleed freely
into the ivory 
parchment
for fear 
the spill would run
over the edges
the lines
unable to sop
up the grief

I watched the nurses
pack sterile pads
into your womb
to stint the bleeding
each swollen 
beyond its capacity 
and hung on the green tiled walls
to keep count

8
9
10

one more and a transfusion would be needed

I held my breath

and you kept breathing
then
a new life
you brought to your breast


Now my soul 
bleeds out
I will these words 
to have 
preternatural powers 
to absorb
to heal

that writing 
is the wielding of swords
and
wrapping of bandages
all the same

You are no longer
breathing

and I am keeping count

7

8

9

10






1 comment: